ARLINGTON, Va. - The time is almost here... the second-annual Saintspys is set for Sunday, April 29 at 5 p.m., presented by Marymount University athletics.
The newly-formatted awards show that is a closed event for the 17 Marymount athletic teams and their coaches is taking over the Verizon Sports Arena next weekend led by our two hosts: Head of Sports Medicine Ryan Wildenhain and Assistant Men's Lacrosse Coach/Facility Manager Vinny Lodato.
"How do I feel about being selected to host the Saintspys'?" Wildenhain asked. "Well, I think the best way to answer that is with the following Dr. Suess quote, "Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory."
"This event has grown into a fantastic evening highlighting the accomplishments of our student-athletes and athletic department," Lodato said. "It's an honor and privilege to have been asked to host the Saintspys this year."
With many new things in store for the student-athletes, the athletics department would like to announce nominees ahead of the show for several of the major awards:
Breakthrough Student-Athlete of the Year
- Men's Cross Country/Triathlon's Graham Clark
- Women's Basketball's Gabriella Haddad
- Baseball's Ryan Scheufele
Performance of the Year
- Women's Basketball's Leah Hurst's Buzzer Beater To Win CAC Championship
- Men's Basketball's Brandon Rogers' Game-Winning Three Pointer To Defeat Christopher Newport
- Baseball's Kenny Sysyn's One-Hit Complete Game
- Men's Basketball's Dimitri Rucker's Posterization Dunk On York's Blayde Reich
- Women's Lacrosse's Bridgette Stacom's Game-Winning Shot In Overtime Against Susquehanna
- Women's Swimming's Hayley Elizondo's Three Program-Record Times At CAC Championships
- Men's Lacrosse's Sean Friedman's Game-Winning Finish Against Methodist
- Women's Golf's Alessandra Bertacche's Earns Centennial Golfer of the Year With Tournament Victory
Team of the Year
The nominations for Team of the Year are not officially completed due to Spring sports still competing, so good luck to our remaining sports on successful runs to closeout the 2017-18 year!
Beyond the above awards, the Saints will also find out the winners for each individual team's awards along with the other major awards listed below:
- James Shelton Award
- Dr. Linda McMahon Male and Female Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Comeback Student Athlete of the Year
- Award for Resilience
- And, Iron Saint Male and Female Athletes of the Year
At the conclusion of the event, Marymount will announce the nominees for Male and Female Players and Rookies of the Year and bring to the stage all of our graduating seniors.
A fun night ahead, indeed! Go Saints!