skip navigation

Saints Fall To Hampden-Sydney In Extra-Innings Battle

Saints Fall To Hampden-Sydney In Extra-Innings Battle

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Marymount University baseball team took Hampden-Sydney College to extra innings on Wednesday afternoon at Nationals Youth Academy, falling 7-3 in 12 innings. 

Senior Ryan Scheufele got his second start of the season on the mound, striking out the first batter of the game. However, the Tigers were the first to score, following with a double down the right field line and a single to bring the Tiger around for the 1-0 lead. Scheufele settled in after that, only seeing two more batters in the first frame and going three up-three down in the second with two strikeouts. 

In the bottom of the first, the Saints answered with two runs of their own to take the lead. Senior Luke Tyree sent a long shoot to center field for a sacrifice fly, as junior Will DiGiulian tagged up and sprinted home for the first run. Two batters later with runners on the corner, sophomore Casey Baker stole second, and while the catcher through to second for the attempt to catch him stealing, senior Conner Hall stole home to put Marymount up 2-1. 

A scoreless second sent the game to the third where the Tigers evened the scoreboard with a RBI single. Scheufele struck out two in the inning, before he was pulled to start the eighth with relief from junior Kenny Sysyn. The junior righty tossed two innings, striking out one but gave up one run in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly, as the Tigers took the 3-2 advantage. 

However, the Saints answered in the bottom half of the frame when Hall stole third and the catcher's attempt to throw him out soared over the third baseman's glove, allowing Hall to sprint home for the unearned run. 

The score would remain 3-3 through the rest of the nine-inning slate, needing three extra innings to decide the victor. Through that stretch, freshman Kenny Frank and junior Matthew Schneider got the Saints to the ninth innings without giving up a single hit. Hall came in for the top of the ninth and came out firing. He struckout the first batter, sophomore catcher James DiGiulian threw a perfect ball to second for a caught stealing, and Hall finished it off with another strikeout to send it to the bottom of the ninth. 

With no luck in the ninth, the game headed to the 10th where Hall held strong for a three-up, three-down. 

In the 11th, Hall continued to work the mound, working out of a two-out jam with runners on first and second, striking out the pinch hitter for the Tigers to keep the Saints in contention. In the bottom half of the frame, the Saints had a great opportunity to walkoff with a bases loaded situation with two outs, but failed to bring anyone across home plate. 

In the 12th, the draw was finally broken when the Tigers hit a grand slam over the left field fence to solidify the 7-3 decision.

The Saints will look to bounce back this weekend with three home games, taking on Western Connecticut State on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m., at Bishop O'Connell High School. They will follow on Sunday with a single nine-inning game against Gettysburg College at 1 p.m., at O'Connell.