skip navigation

Rogers scores 23, leads late-game comeback, as Saints down Seahawks in overtime

Rogers scores 23, leads late-game comeback, as Saints down Seahawks in overtime

ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The Marymount University men's basketball team pulled out a victory on Wednesday night, defeating former Capital Athletic Conference-foe St. Mary's College of Maryland, 83-77, in overtime.

Leading by six points, 67-61, with just over three and a half minutes remaining in regulation, the Saints saw the Seahawks go on a 9-0 run to take a 70-67 lead with just 23 seconds remaining.

However, senior Brandon Rogers would force the extra time with a three-pointer with just one second on the clock. Rogers came up big for the Saints on the night, scoring a game-high 23 points and knocking down seven threes.

He hit another shot from long range to start the overtime period and put Marymount up one, 73-72.

The Saints continued to hold their lead on layups from sophomore Steve Etienne and junior Ryan Albert.

After a layup from junior Ibrahim Kamara, Rogers made another timely play for the Saints, forcing a steal with just 10 seconds to play. After being fouled, he knocked down both free throws to gain an 81-77 advantage.

Marymount would hold on from there, with two foul shots from Etienne capping the victory.

The Saints took control of the contest early, opening the game on a 9-2 run. Rogers knocked down his first three less than a minute in to help get the run going.

More long-distance makes from junior Taiga Walker and Rogers kept the offense rolling, before freshman Xavier Reaves pushed the lead to double-digits, 20-10, with a layup.

The Seahawks were able to cut the lead to four, 22-18, but two dunks from Etienne and a layup from Walker sparked another run for a nine-point lead.

However, St. Mary's fought back again, eventually tying the game, but Albert scored a layup to give the Saints a 36-34 lead at halftime.

The teams played a close, back-and-forth start to the second half, but the Saints again opened up the lead, 52-43, helped by more threes, including makes by Rogers and Reaves.

Marymount continued to hold its lead through the second half, until the late-game push by the Seahawks that led to the late-game heroics by Rogers to set up the win.

Reaves finished the game with a career-high 11 points, marking the first double-digit scoring effort of his career. Etienne (14 points), Albert (12 points), and junior LaDarius McCord (10 points) all hit double-figures, as well, while freshman Roey Stern led the way with a career-high six assists.

Rogers and Etienne paced the defense with four steals, each.

Marymount will stay on the road for its next contest, traveling to Neumann University for the Saints' first-ever Atlantic East Conference matchup on Satuday, December 1; the opening tip is set for 3 p.m.