skip navigation

Saints earn first Atlantic East win in hard-fought, triple-overtime contest at Neumann

Saints earn first Atlantic East win in hard-fought, triple-overtime contest at Neumann

ASTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – The Marymount University men's basketball team earned its first-ever Atlantic East Conference victory on Saturday evening in dramatic fashion, playing a back-and-forth game that required three overtime periods, downing Neumann University, 92-91.

The Saints trailed 91-85 with 2:16 to play in the final overtime, before going on a 7-0 run to end the game. After getting back to within two points of the lead, freshman Xavier Reaves grabbed a steal with only 11 seconds remaining, and following a Marymount timeout, he scored a layup while falling away from the basket due to a foul. He knocked down the subsequent free throw to take the lead.

The Marymount defense clamped down and would not allow the Knights a shot on their final possession to grab the victory.

The game marks the Saints' first to head into triple overtime since December 11, 2010 against Goucher College.

The teams traded leads in the early moments of the game, as junior Ryan Albert hit a three-pointer to give the Saints an 11-8 edge in the first five minutes of the game.

The Knights answered with a 12-3 run to retake a 20-14 lead, but six points would mark the largest lead of the half for either team.

Neumann continued to hold its advantage, until it had Marymount trailing 28-22 with 6:40 remaining in the half.

The Saints got going from that point, using a 14-7 run to take a one-point lead into halftime.

Junior Ibrahim Kamara scored all six of his first-half points in the spurt and got things started with a free throw, before his layup would give Marymount the lead 29-28.

Kamara nailed a three to keep the momentum going, and Albert converted two foul shots to give Marymount its 36-35 halftime advantage.

Albert led the way with 12 points in the first period, while Reaves collected six rebounds, and sophomore Steve Etienne led with three assists.

The Knights came out of the break hot, opening the second half on a 13-3 run to flip the score to a nine-point lead, but the Saints responded with a 13-4 spurt of their own to tie the score.

Senior Brandon Rogers connected on three foul shots, before freshman Roey Stern nailed a three to get back to within three, 48-45, and Kamara scored two-straight layups to get the score to 52-52.

Neither team was able to pull away through the remainder of the half, as the teams battled in a close contest.

With three minutes remaining, Albert hit two foul shots to give Marymount a 65-60 edge, but the Knights answered with five-straight points to force overtime.

The Saints held a four-point lead with 25 seconds to play in the first overtime, but Neumann's Isaiah Wilmore hit a free throw, before scoring a last-second three to keep the game going.

Trailing 83-80, Reaves scored a layup to get the Saints within one. After a Neumann turnover, junior LaDarius McCord knocked down a three to take an 85-83 lead, but the Knights again had the answer, scoring with 18 seconds left to force the third extra period.

The Knights opened the final period on a 6-0 run, before Marymount came back to take the win.

Reaves set career highs with 18 points and 14 rebounds in the game for his first-career double-double. He finished with the team lead on the boards and second in scoring, while Kamara netted 20 points to lead the team.

Marymount returns home for its next game, hosting former Capital Athletic Conference-foe Salisbury University on Wednesday, December 5 at the Converse Family Fieldhouse; the opening tip is set for 8 p.m.