skip navigation

Rogers sets career high as Saints fall in overtime

Rogers sets career high as Saints fall in overtime

PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Marymount University men's basketball team fell on Wednesday afternoon in a closely-contested matchup that needed overtime against Carnegie Mellon University on the road, 90-84.

Junior Ryan Albert got the Saints going early with a three-pointer, before scoring a layup, to gain a 5-0 lead in the opening minutes.

The Tartans fought back to tie the score, but senior Brandon Rogers connected from long range, and junior Ibrahim Kamara added a layup to regain a five-point edge, 10-5.

Rogers finished the game with a career-high 25 points, while shooting 5-for-10 from three-point range.

The teams continued to trade runs in a closely-contested first half, with neither squad able to grab more than a five-point cushion until the final minute of the period.

Rogers again hit from three to give the Saints an 18-17 lead with seven minutes to play, but the Tartans closed the half on a 20-11 run to take an eight-point lead into halftime, 37-29.

Carnegie Mellon continued to hold its lead through the beginning of the first half but never was able to push their advantage to more than eight.

As the Saints kept the game close, they started to chip away at the Tartans' lead, with junior Scott Collier hitting three free throws with 13:05 to play. Junior Chauncey Pittman followed with a jumper to get the score within one, 54-53.

After a small run by the Tartans, Rogers drained another three to get back to only a one-point deficit, before Kamara converted on a layup for the Saints' first lead of the half, 63-62.

Threes from Kamara and junior Taiga Walker helped build the lead to seven, 76-69, as sophomore Steve Etienne capped the offensive surge with a fast-break slam.

Marymount continued to hold its lead into the final minute, before the Tartans used a 7-1 run, including a last-second tip-in to force overtime.

Rogers hit from behind the arc in the extra period to take an 82-81 lead, but a 9-2 run by Carnegie Mellon ended the game in the Tartans' favor.

Kamara added 16 points in the contest, while Albert and Walker chipped in with 13, each. Kamara also led the way with seven rebounds.

The Saints will return home to the Converse Family Fieldhouse for their next contest, taking on Gwynedd Mercy University in their first-ever Atlantic East Conference home game on Saturday, January 5; the opening tip is set for 3 p.m.