skip navigation

Close lacrosse battle falls in favor of Bobcats

Close lacrosse battle falls in favor of Bobcats

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount (Va.) University men's lacrosse team went to battle on Saturday afternoon at Long Bridge Park, pushing Capital Athletic Conference rival Frostburg State University to the limit before falling, 11-9. 

The Bobcats, who are currently sitting right outside of the Top 25 ranking, are coming off a 6-5 loss to No. 6 York College of Pennsylvania. A strong offensive Spartan quad was held to six goals, while the Saints on Saturday put away nine on the Bobcat back line. 

The scoring started quick for Marymount, gaining some early momentum in the opening two minutes. With freshman Christian Imbruglia causing a turnover and junior Daniel Bothwell scooping it up, the Saints went to work on their first offensive possession. Without hesitation, the blue and white were on the board when junior Nathan Beard found senior Kellen McCarthy in front of the crease for the finish and the 1-0 lead. 

A second-straight faceoff win for senior Nick Hohman again would translate onto the scoreboard several minutes later, seeing sophomore Dylan Handel catch a pass from junior Brent Sulhoff as he was falling for the low finish at the 10:12 mark. 

A couple of great saves by sophomore Grey Clarkson kept the Bobcats off the scoreboard, but FSU would finally find the back of the net with five minutes remaining in the first quarter. A minute later, however, Sulhoff added his first finish of the game off a dish by sophomore Sean Friedman to push the lead back to two, 3-1. 

Before the end of the quarter, the Bobcats answered with two goals of their own to draw the score even before Hohman won another clean faceoff, carried it into the offensive third, and blasted home his third goal of the season off the faceoff to give the Saints a 4-3 lead in the first break. 

A scoring draught both ways was the story for much of the second quarter until FSU broke the silence with five minutes remaining before the half. The goal triggered a three-finish stretch to give the Bobcats a 6-4 advantage to carry into the third quarter. 

The momentum remained in Frostburg's favor in the third, notching two more goals in the restart to take its largest lead of the game of four, 8-4. The Saints, though, did not back down, answering FSU with three-consecutive finishes from the sticks of Sulhoff, junior John Williamson, and sophomore Matthew Ebert to get MU back within one with 1:20 remaining in the third. 

FSU ended the third and started the fourth with two finishes of its own to push back ahead which would be enough to hold out for the victory. The Saints continued to strive for the extra time, with goals by Ebert and Sulhoff getting them back within two at the time, but the score halted at 11-9 at the final horn. 

Sulhoff paced the offense for the afternoon with a hat trick of goals and an assist for a game-high four points, while Ebert added two goals. At the faceoff position, Hohman won six while sophomore Christian Lutz earned three. Clarkson tended the net for the full 60 minutes, turning away 10 shots. 

The men will remain at home for their next game, hosting Arcadia University for a non-conference tilt at Long Bridge Park on Wednesday, March 29. First faceoff is schedule for 4 p.m.