skip navigation

Saints down St. Mary's for first time in 20 years on Senior Day

Saints down St. Mary's for first time in 20 years on Senior Day

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount (Va.) University men's lacrosse team earned its first victory in 20 years over St. Mary's College of Maryland on Saturday afternoon, taking an early lead and holding onto it for the 13-8 decision at Long Bridge Park. 

The Saints jumped on the Seahawks early, taking a 5-2 lead into the first break. Marymount scored two in the opening four minutes off the sticks of junior Dylan Watkins and senior Kellen McCarthy, but the Seahawks answered back with two of their own over a span of seven minutes to draw the score back up at 2-2. 

MU wasted no time pulling back ahead for good with three-straight goals to take the Saints into the first break. Long-stick sophomore Hunter McGeeney started off the run with a caused turnover, clear and capped it off with his second finish of the year on the offensive end. Watkins added his second goal off a dish from senior Shoshone Smith before senior Nick Hohman won a clean faceoff and scored his third goal of the season with 14 seconds remaining in the quarter. 

The momentum continued to pick up in the second quarter, building the lead to seven with four unanswered goals to take a 9-2 lead into the half. McCarthy and junior Nathan Beard each put away two goals apiece in the quarter, while Beard assisted on both of McCarthy's goals for a four-point period. 

The second half saw the Seahawks make a run to get back within three with seven minutes remaining in the game, but the Saints held them off to take the 13-8 decision. 

In the third quarter, junior Brent Sulhoff sandwiched four goals by St. Mary's. In the final quarter, Beard kicked off the scoring in the period while junior John Williamson scored on a man-down opportunity off a long pass by goalkeeper Grey Clarkson, who registered his first assist of his collegiate career. 

Sulhoff capped off the scoring and put the final touch on the game with six seconds remaining, catching a pass from McCarthy. 

The Saints will look to carry this momentum into their final home regular-season game on Wednesday, April 12. First faceoff is set for 7 p.m., at Long Bridge Park.