skip navigation

Men's soccer ties program-record for wins on free-kick goal by Psallidas on Senior Night

Men's soccer ties program-record for wins on free-kick goal by Psallidas on Senior Night

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount University men's soccer team improved its Atlantic East Conference record to 4-1 on Wednesday night, downing Wesley College, 1-0, at Long Bridge Park on Senior Night.

With the win, the Saints tied the program record for wins in a season, with nine, while posting the first four-game winning streak since the 2007 season. Before the game, the Saints celebrated the careers of seniors Rodney Ngoh and Anthony Calderon.

The Wolverines tested sophomore goalkeeper Ronald Clark early in the game, forcing the Shady Side, Md., native to make a save just under four minutes into the contest. Wesley tallied three corners in the opening 10 minutes, but the Saints' defense held strong.

Clark made three more saves in the first half, keeping the game scoreless at the break.

Freshman Derek Rivera had the lone shot-on-goal for Marymount in the first half, but Wesley's Jason Sommer was there for the stop.

The Wolverines held a slight, 9-6, lead in shots in the first half.

Freshman Gabriel Psallidas forced another Sommer save to start the second half at the 50:04 mark, but Psallidas would cash in just five minutes later.

On a free-kick opportunity from 30-yards out on the right side, Psallidas hit a perfectly-placed strike in the upper-right corner of the goal to break the tie. The score was his first of the season.

With some hard fouls over the next several minutes, the Wolverines were forced to play the final 30 minutes of the game two-men down. Despite the disadvantage, they fought back hard at the Saints, looking to tie the score.

In the 73rd minute, Kaiden Fields took a shot that was saved by Clark, but it took the Saints' keeper out of position on the rebound. Kieran Sundermann was all alone in front of an open Marymount net and looked to have the goal in hand, but freshman Anthony Solorzano came from the right side to make the defensive save on the shot and preserve the lead.

The Saints' defense continued to hold strong from there to secure the victory.

Clark played 90 minutes in the goal, making eight saves in the game.

The Saints will now travel to Atlantic East-foe Cabrini University to close out their regular-season schedule on Wednesday, October 30; the opening touch is set for 4 p.m.