skip navigation

Women's lacrosse drops road league tilt to Seahawks

Women's lacrosse drops road league tilt to Seahawks

ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The Marymount (Va.) University women's lacrosse team battled out a close matchup on the road against St. Mary's College of Maryland on Saturday afternoon, falling in the end, 11-9. 

The Seahawks jumped ahead early on the Saints, taking a 3-1 lead in the opening five minutes, seeing junior Abby Wescott find sophomore Jessica Crew for the goal that split the St. Mary stretch. 

MU quickly answered with a three-goal run of its own to take over the lead by the 13:17 mark of the first half, 4-3. Sophomore Kelly Campbell kicked off the run, before junior Kellen Cannon and Crew each added a free-position goal. 

However, the Seahawks would send in four unanswered goals before the half to take a 7-4 advantage into the break, a lead that held for the remainder of the game, although the Saints didn't go down without a fight. 

Crew notched her hat trick to open the second half to get the Saints back within one, catching a dish from sophomore Bridget Odom, but a few minutes later, the Seahawks struck again to push back out the lead. 

Just over a minute later, the Saints answered with back-to-back goals to draw some momentum with a one-goal deficit with 13 minutes remaining in regulation. Odom scored the first goal, while senior Catina Boster sent in a free-position attempt to get MU back into the game, 8-7. 

Both teams traded a goal with the Seahawks striking first before senior Natalie Tinkham capitalized on an unassisted shot, but in the closing three minutes, St. Mary's put away the game with two-straight finishes. 

Sophomore Bridgette Stacom tacked on the final goal for the Saints in the final two minutes, but the Saints came up short, 11-9, in the end. 

Sophomore Holly Reik tended the net for the full 60 minutes, turning away 15 shots. 

The Saints will remain on the road for another CAC tilt on Wednesday, April 12, taking on Wesley College at 7 p.m.