skip navigation

Saints' late comeback seals up first CAC win of season

Saints' late comeback seals up first CAC win of season

DOVER, Del. – The Marymount (Va.) University women's soccer team got back into the win column on Wednesday evening, grabbing its first Capital Athletic Conference victory of the season on the road with a 3-2 comeback over Wesley College. 

With a shot total of 29 for the game, the two most important ones came in the final 13 minutes of the match that put the Saints ahead of the Wolverines for the win. Those two finishes, both by senior forward Kirsten Campbell, were also put away in a matter of just 1:17 of one another. 

In the 78th minute, freshman Gretel Bonilla took a rip on target, but the Wesley goalkeeper was able to redirect the attempt to keep the Saints from drawing the score even. The play wasn't over yet though, as Campbell closed in on the back post for the quick tap in off the saved shot by the keeper to tie up the match 2-2. 

Just over a minute later, the game winner was sent in. Freshman Karen Reyes sent in a low ball into the middle of the 18-yard box where there was some miscommunication by the backline and keeper, leaving room for Campbell to sweep in and intercept for the finish on an empty net and the 3-2 decision. 

Although the Saints put up a blistering amount of shots throughout the game, Wesley still managed to put away the first goal of the match. But it was nothing MU didn't match before the end of the first half, seeing Bonilla find the back of the net for the first time in her collegiate career on a 20-yard lofted shot to the far post. 

The Wolverines would again reclaim the lead early in the second half, 2-1, before Campbell connected twice to seal up the Saints first conference victory of the season. The win against the Wolverines snaps a two-year skid against the CAC opponent, not taking the decision against Wesley since the 2013 season. 

Senior April Westmark and junior Sydney Schultz split time between the posts, seeing Westmark pull in three saves in the first half and Schultz earn the victory for her 45 minutes in the second half. 

The Saints will look to carry their momentum into their next CAC tilt on Friday, October 7, as they remain on the road at St. Mary's College of Maryland. First touch is set for 4 p.m.