skip navigation

Late goal sinks Saints in final home match of season

Late goal sinks Saints in final home match of season

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Marymount women's soccer team had some early opportunities in the second half against Southern Virginia University, but a late goal in the closing seven minutes by the Knights was enough for the 1-0 decision in the Capital Athletic Conference matchup at Long Bridge Park on Wednesday night. 

A pair of early attempts made it on target for the Saints to startup the match, with junior Caroline Phillips and sophomore Jennifer McKee firing off shots, but nothing too difficult for Knight goalkeeper Merideth Ouellette to reel in. 

For the rest of the half, the Knights took control on the offensive end with five shots, two of which junior keeper Sydney Sherman pulled in, while sophomore Karen Reyes got a shot off that was blocked by the defense. 

Just like the way they ended the first half, the Knights came out firing in the second half with five shots in a 30-minute stretch while the Saints were held without an attempt. However, the Marymount backline of sophomores Gabby Cabrales, Maddie Alexander and Courtney Stephens and Sherman held strong to keep the scoring draught in tact. 

By the 78th minute, the offense started to brew up for the Saints. Reyes got off the first shot of the second half, but again was blocked. Cabrales followed up the blocked shot with her own rip, this one getting punched out by Ouellette on the high attempt. 

Several minutes later, sophomore Kylie Egan had the best opportunity of the match, taking on the keeper one-on-one, but the Knight keeper won the battle with the big save. 

With seven minutes left, Southern Virginia put away the game winner off a short pass inside the box and placement into the right side of the net to seal up the 1-0 victory. 

The Saints had two late chances to draw the score even and send it to extra time, but sophomore Samantha Praul sent the shot high and Reyes' attempt was pulled in for the save. 

The women head on the road for the rest of the season, traveling to Penn State-Harrisburg on Saturday, October 21 for their next match. First touch is set for 12 p.m.